St Joseph’s Church
177 Currie Street, Nambour
Palmwoods / Nambour / Yandina
Frank L. Cullen
Daniel Currie donated a five acre site to the Catholic Church in the late 1880s. The original St Joseph’s timber church was built on the site in 1890. The neighbouring Convent was officially opened by Archbishop Duhig on 13 December 1925. A Catholic High School was opened in the Convent in 1940. A devastating fire in Nambour in 1946 destroyed the old timber church, so Frank L. Cullen was engaged to design the new St. Joseph’s Catholic Church which was opened by Sir James Duhig in July 1951.
The current church retains the bulk of its original styling from its original construction in 1950. Substantial refurbishment was undertaken in 2000 to change the orientation of the use of the building to meet revised liturgical needs of the church space. Internally the church space retains many of the original features of the building.